The much hyped club/electronica/dance/pop artist KYGO is one of this years hottest names in pop music – worldwide!
You think you still haven´t heard KYGO? I think you have…you just don´t know it yet!
KYGO ISN´T JUST ANOTHER HYPE; THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD LOVE KYGO!
Who is KYGO
- KYGO is without doubt one on the hottest names in dance/club music these days – worldwide!
- Behind the name hides Kyrre Gørvell-Dahl, age 22 years old
- He´s from Bergen in Norway. One of the of the cities that has spawned some of the best musicians Norway has to offer!
- He was a bedroom DJ – in the words right meaning, specializing in making remixes of current hits, from his home where he lives with his parents
KYGO in Social media
- He has used SoundCloud and YouTube to make his name the biggest this years household name!
- The numbers; the 22. may 2014 had 47 million streams on SoundCloud, and 70 million views on YouTube. Over 300K following him on Facebook
- On Twitter he´s got 11K followers.
It makes you wonder – where would KYGO be without social media?
The Sound of KYGO
- Almost all songs/remixes run the same bpm; Around 100 bpm,
- Pop beats/soft-club, and his trademark piano playing which sounds mostly like a cross between a flute and a xylophone, lush keyboard sounds.
- Dry production. Smooth, cool, pop production but still very much danceable, and kinda sexy.
- KYGO music works just as good in a café, restaurant, a shopping centre, on your morning jogging, or listening to while chilling in the garden, or in the clubs at night
As soon as you discover the world of KYGO and his songs, you’ll find he´s allready got his trademark sound.
The influences and becoming KYGO
- Aviici was and still is a huge influence of KYGO.
- The Swedish Superstar DJ and producer, , Aviici, made the Norwegian bedroom DJ wanna start playing the piano again (he did practice piano at young age)
- KYGO bought a music program for his computer
- He used YouTube to learn playing his new inventions, the music program and the mini-piano/sampler
- He started making his own music. Slowly building his own career.
Chris Martin of Coldplay personally contacted KYGO to remix one of their new tracks “Midnight” off their brand new album. KYGOs idol Aviici wrote, worked on and produced, a track that ended up on Coldplays album. The Coldplay track “Midnight” (Kygo remix) has even been played on English super DJ Pete Tongs radio show on BBC Radio 1.
The future of Kygo
- Billboard magazine loves KYGO; In May 2014 influential magazine Billboard gave KYGO the top spot on their “Uncharted” list “a chart of new and developing artists who have yet to appear on a major Billboard chart” the 17th of may.
- KYGO is still unsigned.
- Many record companies wants to have a piece of KYGO.
- He still hasn’t decided where he would end up.
- He debuted on a live scene in Paris, and is playing festivals in Norway + in the USA in this summer
KYGO has released one single on Aviichis record company Ensis Records after being headhunted by the company.
Where can you find the music of KYGO?
- As aforementioned SoundCloud has lots of tracks for streaming and you can even download a bunch of them
- Listen to his songs on YouTube
- Like his Facebook page, and you´ll get a couple of handfuls of tracks for free
- Buy some tracks on iTunes
- See him live!
- Last but not least. Make sure you´ll check out and download this KYGO DJ-set from BBCs Diplo & Friends. The mix includes a bunch of toptunes of today – even KYGOs own remixes and classics plus a few unexpected surprises and todays monster hits; What about Pharell, Ed Sheeran, TLC, Marvin Gaye, Gnarls Barkley and 90s one hit wonder Londonbeat to mention a few…
See the whole playlist and download the whole thing from SoundCloud HERE!
1. Pharrell Williams – Happy (Neus Remix)
2. Ed Sheeran – I See Fire (Kygo Remix)
3. Marvin Gaye – Sexual Healing (Kygo Remix)
4. TLC – Waterfalls (Bixel Boys Remix)
5. Israel Kamakawiwoʻole – Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Thomas Jack Remix)
6. Gnarls Barkley – Crazy (TEEMID & Joie Tan Cover)
7. ZZ Ward – 365 Days (Jerry Folk Remix)
8. Londonbeat – I’ve Been Thinking About You (Dilemmachine Remix)
9. Benjamin Francis Leftwich – Shine (Kygo Remix)
10. Syn Cole – Miami 82 (Kygo Remix)
11. The Knocks – Comfortable (Oliver Nelson Remix) (feat. X Ambassadors)
12. Else – Her Movie
13. Seinabo Sey – Younger (Kygo Remix)
Discovering the magic of KYGO or how I became a fan!
I was probably hearing his music almost everywhere this spring, even more often than I´ll know myself; All day on the radio, in the que while buying a damn fine cup of coffee, in cars rushing by, at the mall
And his sounds slowly but surely struck me, the warm sound followed me from early spring and to blooming summer. I was hooked, and was letting the smooth club sounds of KYGO fill my ears while the first rays of summer lick my skin on the terrace and while doing my doze of daily work. Before I knew it the sound of KYGO had become my soundtrack of 2014!
I got so disappointed the first time I tried to listened to KYGO, and downloaded 4 free songs and felt I listened to 4 pieces of “Coco Jambo” by Mr President – and decided his music wasn´t worth a blog post – but as you can see and have just read…I changed my mind 😉
Do you wanna check out if KYGO is your becoming a part of your playlist of 2014?
Make sure you check out the free music, buy the singles, download the DJ-set
I´ll bet you, have this summers biggest and smoothest soundtrack!